A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Monday, March 05, 2007

l'avoine


I am a big fan of the oat. This humble looking food is wholesome, delicious and nutritious. Even when they make an appearance in cookies, I feel like I am eating something healthy. Speaking of healthy, what is more nourishing than granola? It is dense, hearty and yes calorie-rich, but oh so yummy. I have fond memories of the peanut butter and cinnamon ones from my childhood. Because I find myself giving much of my income to Kashi, I decided to try my hand at an old favorite.

The following recipe is practically fool-proof. You can add or omit whatever lovely nuts, seeds and dried fruits hiding in your pantry.

CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA

4 C. quick cooking oats
1/3 C. canola oil
1/2 C. honey
1/4 C. light brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
3/4 C. chocolate chips
1/2 C. chopped pecans
1/4 C. dried cherries
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until evenly coated. Spread mixture into a 9 x 13 sheet pan that has been lightly oiled or sprayed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden brown.

Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.