A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Monday, January 15, 2007

The Luckiest Girl


Who has the best boyfriend ever? I believe that would be me.

Yesterday was my birthday and I was treated to a day that was both relaxing and fun, filled with excellent company and good food. All courtesy of RFC.


The day started with a breakfast that included hashbrowns I have been hearing about for months. They were well worth the wait and RFC spent the morning slaving away over the stove turning them out as well as eggs and bacon. For my part, I lounged around reading the Sunday paper and drinking coffee, something I don't get to do leisurely very often these days. Once breakfast was over and we had gotten ourselves together, it was into Manhattan to spend a few hours at MOMA. Have you ever noticed that the Male and Female bathroom icons at the museum have a swagger in their step?

Dinner was a surprise and I knew that RFC had been emailing with S. to pick out a place to take me. When he told me this, there was one restaurant that popped into my that I hoped she would suggest. As we walked through the West Village, down Bleeker Street, I realized that was exactly where we were going. August Restaurant is a place I have been wanting to go for literally years. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about it and it was number one on my To Dine List.

We started with a chestnut canellone filled with ground veal and chicken. I can't describe to you how rich and meaty it was. We shared our two entrees, oven roasted whole orata (a meaty white fish) and grilled bavette of beef which came with a creamy sauce of sunchokes and mushrooms. We added on a side of brussell sprouts with almonds. Everything was perfect and one of the staff helped us pick out a delicious wine to go with our meal. We sat in the back, which is like a patio with a glass roof. If you have a choice, sit there. We finished our meal on a sweet note with their sticky toffee pudding. Cavity inducing, the sweetness was offset by tart pomegranate seeds sprinkled over the top. August lived up to all my expectations.

The evening ended with jazz dowstairs at the Cornelia Street Cafe and me wishing it could be my birthday every day.

August
359 Bleeker Street
New York, NY
(212) 929-4774

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.