A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

lever house

AIDEZ-MOI, I have forgotten what dining out is like! J'en ai marre! Qu'est-ce qu'on peut faire? What is a girl to do? Luckily, I still have a few connections in the restaurant business. Earlier this month, on a quick jaunt up to NYC, Dave and I had the good fortune to spend some time with our friend Deb (superstar Pastry Chef) and her adorable son, Gabriel. (superstar cutie) We happily accepted her invitation to have dinner at her restaurant, Lever House.



I have never had the good fortune to dine there, because it always seemed a bit too swank. The reputation of the food is only equaled by its design. The entrance alone impresses with its sleekness. Being the modernist I am, I felt at ease the moment we walked through the doors. The Marc Newson interior is absolutely stunning with its honeycomb motif and soothing palette. This is how I envision my dream home. Deb greeted us as we settled into the pod-like booth. As I sipped my "Quincy" cocktail, I absorbed our sumptuous surroundings. Ahhh..such perfection in the details. I felt a bit shabby, especially since I've been running around all day, maybe I'll try to sit up taller.

My starter was a beautiful winter salad of Satur Farm greens, butternut squash, ricotta salata, and hazelnuts. The unique combination was not only delicious but had a most pleasant texture. Chef Dan Silverman sent out an albacore and fluke tartare which was unlike one I have ever tasted. The buttery fluke was delicate and came to life with a burst chive, jalepeno, and orange. My entree was a sweet and rich monkfish highlighted by olives and cipollini onions. What came next was a feast of desserts, 3 courses to be exact. We began with light-as-air potato doughnuts, hot chocolate and cranberries. It was followed by a dizzying array of perfectly executed desserts...Blood Orange Ice box Cake with Graham Crackers, Chocolate and Peanut Butter Layer Cake with Peanut Brittle Ice Cream, Butterscotch Creme Caramel with Cornbread, and Marscapone Cheesecake with Pineapple Fritters. Jaloux? Nous sommes tres heureux! It is impossible to choose a favorite. The flavors are familiar but composed with such sophistication and balance. Je suis tres content, mais combien de temps dois-je attendre pour le prochain?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.