A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Monday, June 26, 2006

le diner



I left Chikalicious wishing we had ordered another dessert but it's not the time to be greedy because I made plans to dine at Blue Ribbon restaurant that evening. We sadly said good-bye to Chika, Don and Sofia and headed over towards Soho. We split up right around Rice to Riches to meet our respective friends. I began navigating my way towards Spring Street and passed by the superlative Ceci-Cela and Balthazar bakeries. Let us not forget Sullivan Street Bakery as well. What a minute, where is Sullivan Street? Yikes, I am completely turned around and now I am in Chinatown. Have I been away that long?

My poor sense of direction never fails, but I do manage to actually arrive at the restaurant in one piece. Lily, a former co-worker, is waiting patiently in the bar area with a cocktail in hand. I am pleasantly surprised by the fact they we do not have to wait for a table. The restaurant is already abuzz with diners sharing drinks, gossip and tiers of fruits de mer. I have had the privilege of dining at many Blue Ribbon establishments (thank you Dave and the cycling team), but Lily will experience eating here for the first time. It has garnered a reputation for being a favorite with chefs. Partly because is stays open until 4 am but more importantly it is the execution of the food. The menu is wildly eclectic and never disappoints. You will discover fried chicken made from matzo meal next to tofu ravioli. Each dish comes out exactly as you want it to be.

Lily has a sophisticated palette and adventurous spirit, and I feel lucky to be dining with her.
My starter of a goat cheese salad is quite boring and wimpy next to the bone marrow and oxtail marmalade she chooses. Her motto this evening was to order something she wouldn't normally eat. She goes the distance with her main course as well, duck breast with turnip puree. After mulling over the wine list we decide upon a Domaine Ott, Cuvee Cote de Provence. I am quite impressed with the bone marrow and its presentation, but it is not for the faint of heart. It arrives on a platter with thick slices of toasted brioche and could easily serve 2 or 3.

We are seated in the middle of the dining room amidst the bustle of a typical evening. The front of the house staff never rests, yet they approach your table with a calm and cheerful manner. Even as we linger and chat, our server does not rush us out. Certainly our 4-top is valuable property at this hour? The Bromberg Brothers are definitely doing something right. From the slightly scruffy servers to the well-prepared food, an evening in one of their restaurants is always delightful. As we make our way towards the exit, the host makes sure to inquire about our meal. C'etait impressionnant.

Blue Ribbon Restaurant
97 Sullivan Street
New York, NY 10012
212.274.0404

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeek! Bone marrow! And meat marmalade! I don't know if I could stomach that myself.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.