A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Saturday, May 27, 2006

J'adore Paris

Bonjour Tous!

I cannot find the words to express how much I love Paris. My husband and I spent 2 glorious days there. I will try to recount the beauty, the richness and (of course) the food that we experienced. We arrived in a jet-lagged daze to the hustle and bustle of a typical Parisian workday. The first thing on our agenda was le petit dejeuner. What is better than coffee and bread? Back home, we are used to a simple start to our day--a delicious bowl of Kashi. Being able to indulge in a tartine and a croissant is a most wonderful treat. The taste is amazing, is it the butter?

It has almost been 10 years since my last trip here, and I was curious to see if I would recognize the sights and sounds from my first time. Also, I would have a first-time perspective from my husband. He has a fondness for the European sensibility, but how would he fare in Paris? I was hoping he would love the city and joie de vivre that has enchanted me since I was a young girl.

I guess it is inevitable to have a few unpleasant experiences, but I find it unkind and unfair to make sweeping observations about certain cultures. “These people are so rude,” “The food is awful in that country,” “They are so loud and obnoxious.” I like to follow my parent’s example. They are seasoned veterans and enjoy the fact that they are guests when they travel. For those of you that know my mother, she can be quite…. particular (but only in the most loving manner). You have to leave certain habits and expectations at home. Travel with an open-mind, respect and allow your appetite to guide you.

Our first evening, we would be dining at Au Bon Acceuil in the 7th arrondisement. It came highly recommended, but also came with the warning of being frequented by mostly Americans. This would be a problem if the restaurant was a tourist trap, but the food and ambience were exquisite. Yes, there were many English-speakers, but they were well experienced Americans dining next to well heeled Parisians. We were able to savor the elegant cuisine and décor and there were no fanny packs or chanting of “USA.”

The balance of texture and flavor was even apparent in the potato puree that accompanied our main course. It arrived perfectly proportioned in a small cup. The color was the palest yellow unspoiled by herbs or seasoning. The body was light yet possessing enough body to carry immense flavor. It must be the butter. By the time we had finished dessert, I could feel the affect of our wine--A beautiful 1990 Chateau Fonbel Saint Emilion. As we stepped out onto the sidewalk, we were overwhelmed by the sight of the Eiffel Tower. It was decorated with thousands out lights and made a stunning ending to our evening.

Au Bon Accueil
14 rue de Monttessuy
tel: 01 47 05 46 11
metro: Pont de L'Alma

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds lovely! I can't wait to hear more and see the pictures.
K.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.