A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Thursday, June 15, 2006

New York, je t'aime

I think I have always loved New York City. As a child, I longed to escape the suburbs for the dense, urban environment of the city. What was it that captivated me so much? It represented endless possibilities, diversity and gritty excitement. As my plane began its descent, we were given a spectacular view of the skyline. No matter how many times I have seen it, it remains breathtaking in its size and scope. How nice to be back!

My blog sister, Karen, generously hosted me in her lovely, new apartment. As soon as I arrived we seemed to hit the ground running. Who needs sleep? There are too many places to explore and old haunts to revisit. We started our weekend with some favorites--the greenmarket at Union Square and Le Pain Quotidien. As we walked over towards the West Side, we were tempted by every small wine bar and cafe that dotted the streets. The buzz of activity is intoxicating. It's not just the fast pace, but the fact that New Yorkers live to the fullest. Every space is utilized and every minute of the day is filled--I want to take it all in.

The next stop is Brooklyn Brewery. I am relieved to see that the hipster is alive and well in Williamsburg. My dear twenty-something friend, Stephanie, suggested the place and as we walked around the neighborhood, I couldn't help but think, "I am so old." Happily as we settle in to our table, I notice the crowd is represented by all ages and even a few families. As the evening and beers progress, we find ourselves craving the perfect accompaniment--pizza. Everyone has their favorite style (NY bien sur), topping (Margherita) and local favorite (Lombardi's), but it's hard not to get a decent slice here. Maybe it was the yummy beer, but the pizza was quite good in all of its greasy goodness. I refrain from another slice because I know a different slice is waiting for me, strawberry-rhubarb to be exact. Pie making requires a skill and instinct especially when using market fruit. K and I are still haunted by the "applesauce" pie. This one is neither too sweet nor too tart and the natural flavors of each fruit come through. All of this is surrounded by a flaky and light lattice crust made lovingly by Karen, the pie queen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Dora! What up girlfriend? It's your old bud Jeanne K. I'm wasting the days away in Olympia WA, waiting for school and my new job at a french bakery to start. I love reading your blog. Actually find it somewhat inspirational, 'cause i've always wanted to write reviews my self. The dining scene here is somewhat dismal but I will continue hunting for good food until i find it. I'm like a pirate hunting for treasure. "Argh, shiver me timbers!"

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

I'm so happy to hear from you.I have been missing my old breadbaking days. I would love to hear about your bakery work and what you are doing in school. Are you ever going back to NY? Remember, you ain't cena nothin' yet. Do you have my e-mail?

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.