A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Brooklyn Shout-out

This weekend I will be baking my little heart out for a couple of friends in honor of their birthdays. As I don't get to do this kind of baking (cake, filling, frosting-the whole nine yards) very often, I'm thankful for the excuse to dust off these skills and give them whirl. But first, I needed to stock up on a few supplies and, because I have a little time on my hands, I took the train out to my old neighborhood and stopped by my favorite kitchen shop, A Cook's Companion on Atlantic Avenue. This little store has a rather large selection of cookware, gadgets, knives, and baking supplies and I don't think their prices are that much higher than bigger retailers. They have lots of options for cake decorating and I was able to get everything I needed in one shot. While on Atlantic, I couldn't help but wander a few doors down to another local favorite, Sahadi's. What I like best about this Middle-eastern shop is that you can get spices, nuts, dried fruit, and grains in bulk. Go in late November and you will be surrounded by British women stocking up on ingredients for fruitcake and steamed pudding!

While at A Cook's Companion, I ran across an issue of
Edible Brooklyn. This is a brand new quarterly which focuses, obviously, on the food scene all over Brooklyn. It is wonderfully put together, with articles ranging from fresh mozzarella to the food in Coney Island. I wish there was an equivalent for Queens! You can check out their website for locations all over the borough where you can get a copy for free(!).
K.


A Cook's Companion
197 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY
(718) 852-6901

Sahadi Importing
187 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY
(718) 624-4550

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello NY Tart,
The new layout looks lovely. Thank you! There is no better place than Sahadi's. What delicious confections did you create?

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday I made yellow cake cupcakes with lemmon curd filling and pink vanilla buttercream. They were very girly! And tomorrow I am making an actual cake--chocolate cake with mint chocolate filling and mint buttercream. Yum!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.