A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Thursday, August 03, 2006

le petit dejeuner

Our mothers have always told us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I have to agree, to skip it is a bad idea on all levels. Hopefully, whatever you eat will be accompanied by a cup of joe. My passion for coffee was deeply influenced by a post-college job at Peet's in the East Bay. It was still a small company at the time and they took great pride in their craft. I have tried various brewing methods over the years. In college, I thought the French press was nec plus ultra. After a trip to Italy, I fell in love with an Italian stovetop maker. And from time to time, I pull out the Chemex and pay homage to Mary Tyler Moore. My current favorite is not as aesthetically pleasing, but the Melitta single cup, makes an intense, soulful cafe. The process has become a very personal ritual. I have no tolerance for wimpy "brown paper water" imposters. My family and friends have helped in my quest for a perfect cup of coffee. Over the years, I have received a grinder from my mother, a daily mug from my brother and belle-soeur and a travel mug from the NY tart. The travel thermos keeps a perfect temperature and reminds me of Joe's in the West Village. The temperature has reached to almost 100 degrees, but I cannot imagine drinking iced coffee. C'est sacrilege!

Now onto the question of nourriture. What is the proper accompaniment? The finest bread you can find. If you are like me, you hope to never hear another conversation involving carbs. Ca m'ennui. A slice of baguette or miche from Weaver Street Bakery is the perfect start to the day. Spread some Beurre d'Isigny and Les Comtes de Provence Clementine Preserves to make it sublime. Before you deal with the stresses of the day, take a moment to have an inspiring meal and to be present.

Bonne Journee.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, nothing beats a good piece or chunk of bread. And paired with a strong cup of coffee...mmmm. This has been my standard breakfast during trips France and Spain. I just wish it was as easy to find a good bakery within walking distance here in the States.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.