A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Friday, July 21, 2006

Lights Out!

I am going into my fourth day of no power here in Astoria, Queens. My poor neighborhood looks like a disaster area, but everyone seems to be coping. One cafe on 30th Avenue is putting on a good show and still serving drinks and desserts despite being on one of the effected blocks. Needless to say, it has not been an inviting prospect to cook in my unairconditioned apartment. On the relatively brighter side, I am being forced to eat out every day. (Do you think Con Edison will pick up the tab?) I've tried out a couple greek diners on Steinway, between 30th and 28th Avenues. So far in my opinion it is generally better to stick gyros over the souvlaki, but I think I need to investigate further.

The news is that the power may be on today...if not, then Saturday...if not then, definitely Sunday. Looking down the streets at all the police cars, fire trucks and Con Ed crews everywhere, it doesn't look too promising. Tonight I am fleeing to Manhattan to take refuge at S.'s. Here's hoping for a return of power soon!
K.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.