A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Monday, October 09, 2006

Apple Time

Autumn is definitely my favorite time of the year. I love the chill in the air, football on the television (Go ND!), Halloween and Thanksgiving, and the hearty, comfy food it all inspires. RFC and I celebrated the beginning of fall by going apple picking. We took a drive about an hour north to Masker's Orchard in Warwick, New York. It is a "u-pick" orchard where you actually drive your car among the trees and fill your orchard-issued bags until your heart's content. I don't think I am too keen on the idea of driving through the orchard and it was awfully crowded, but we still had a fabulous time picnicing on the grass with apples randomly falling from the trees above us and then harvesting to the point we could barely carry our bags. We came away with a few Red Delicious, which aren't really a favorite of either of us. I find the peel a little bitter and RFC thinks they are devoid of flavor. Most of our haul consisted of Macintosh and Jona Golds as big as your head. Pie making is now in my future, along with some apple cookies and possibly pancakes.

We took a break from the picking to indulge in all things apple at the farm stand. The two of us shared a slice of apple pie and a cider doughnut. And we sipped hot and cold cider. The pie was freshly baked, the apples in the filling still held their shape, yet melted away in my mouth. The crust was flaky, if rolled a little thick. The cider doughnuts were...good as doughnuts usually are. I couldn't taste the cider in them, but I love the idea of cider in doughnuts. The dusting of cinnamon-sugar was enough to satisfy my taste buds.

Now is the time to give free rein to your apple fancy. If you can't get out of whatever city you are in to pick them yourself, I'm sure there is a farmer's market near by. Here in NYC, I know the Greenmarkets are bursting with their apple bounty. If you see them, try Honey Crisp, they are so sweet, it's like natural candy.

NYC Tart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.