A Couple of Tarts

We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink, for dining alone is leading the life of a lion or wolf. ~ Epicurus

Monday, September 25, 2006

Pie for Everyone!

This past Sunday, I took part in the 3rd Annual Brooklyn Pie Social in DUMBO. It was a blustery, windy day with dark clouds threatening rain, but that didn't stop enthusiasts from coming out to try the many incarnations of pie that were available. I made a maple pecan pie and my special Concord grape pie. Not many people have every had the latter. I was introduced to it by a former boss when I worked at a bakery in SF. It pretty much tastes like Welch's grape juice or jelly, but not as sweet as you might think. For the past five years, I've made it every September during the short Concord grape season. I always like to get a few new people to give it a try. Since the pie social fell right during my usual pie making time, I thought it would be fun to bring. I did get lots of comments on it and both pies were gone after two hours. I was very proud! S. came to keep me company and I don't know what I would have done with out her. The strong winds made manning the pies, plates, forks, and knives a task for two people. (Thanks!)

With my entry of pies, I got five tasting tickets which I gladly shared with S. There were so many that looked delicious, it was hard to decide. We started with an apple pie topped with
a cornbread, bacon and cheddar crumble. It was just enough savory to compliment the sweetness. We then tried a peach-pistachio tart from the Pie Queen, whom I finally got to meet in person. It was a lovely last hurrah for summer. After a short break (we wanted to pace ourselves) we tried shepard's pie and then a swiss chard torte. Both were amazing. We ended the extravaganza with a sweet pear and fig pie that was still warm from the oven. There was a short bit of rain that made everyone scamper under the scaffolding covering the sidewalk. Despite this and the wind, we had a fabulous time. It was such a homey, community orientated affair. And the proceeds went to two public elementary schools. How can you go wrong?

NYC Tart

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love your Concord grape pie! Hearing about those pies is torture here in the land of dry cakes with no icing!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tartine2. Make your own badge here.